Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fighting through the gap

I've been meaning to post a blog entry on this video for a long time now, so I'm just going to do it. In the first two minutes of the video, Ira Glass has done a really good job of spelling out something I've been struggling with a lot. (He talks about it in terms of people who want to make videos...which isn't my thing...but as he says this applies to anyone who's trying to do creative work.)

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hidvElQ0xE

I've been in the process of finding a way to thrive at doing self-directed stuff for a long time. I really could benefit from having more structure, but I have struggled with finding ways of providing it for myself. I've often had escapist fantasies of becoming a student again so that other people can tell me what hoops to jump through. But, it's become quite clear that that's not the answer for me. The answer lies in figuring out how to get myself to do what it takes to fight through the gap that Ira Glass describes.

No comments: