Sunday, August 17, 2008

Better results without my "try harder" mentality

I was just looking back at an email I wrote to a friend and was struck by how I was talking about figuring out what I can get myself to do with myself. I was struck by how this had my usual "try harder" mentality written all over it. Lately, I've had better success with encouraging myself to use other strategies besides just trying harder. For example, I've been following more what I'm enthusiastic about rather than what I think I'm supposed to be doing.

This blog entry serves as a good example. There was another entry I was working on because I was thinking it might make a better first entry. Fortunately, I didn't get too stalled out by that line of thinking (try harder on what I think I should be doing) and started working on this one instead. Because, after all the best first entry is the one that actually gets posted!

No comments: